Friday, April 25, 2008

Cars

I really hope I am over this, but back in 2002 I had 3 cars. I started with a 1995 Ford Aspire.


Some people might argue that it's not really nice, but since I think the whole car thing is a big luxury I'm going to go with ALL cars being nice for the moment. Plus it was the first car I bought with my own money.

I was on the overnight shift, coming home through SE DC trying to get on 295N. There's that one little ramp where you have no merge lane. I was screaming along to the music to keep myself awake and looking over my shoulder hoping I wouldn't plow into someone sideways when the guy in front of me stopped. I plowed into him instead. The airbag burned my thumb, my radio (which was on the seat, by the way - it was an old boom box - no nice radios for me) lost its antenna, the car was totaled.

Within weeks, I had a newer Ford Aspire - a 1996 model! Same color and everything. I was psyched to find one, plopped my boom box in the passenger seat, and rolled along. ... for 6 months until on the way home from the club some guy and I decided to enter the same intersection at the same time. Ford Aspire #2 - totaled. And then I had PTSD and was seeing random cars coming at me where there weren't any.

After that, against the advice of most everyone, I purchased a 1997 Aspire. That one got broken into and I managed to keep it (sort of) in a condition where someone would purchase it. Now I have a "new" car. I pray to the auto gods daily, and it's generally covered in bird poop from the tree I park under that I can't be bothered to clean off.

No comments: