Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I need Teflon clothes.

One reason I can’t have nice things is because I have an avoidant personality. As soon as something goes even the tiniest bit wrong, it is dead to me. So a cashmere sweater gets a drop of maple syrup on it, and rather than taking it to the cleaner or washing it with Woolite on the gentle cycle within the week, I shove it into the back of my drawer. Four months later, I spy it and say, “Hey, how did this get back here?” and pull it out to find it full of moth holes. Toward the end of the evening on my mom and stepdad’s wedding day, I spilled a little bit of wine on my silk dress. I put it in the closet that night and half-vowed to take care of it the next day. That was October 2, 2005, and I still haven’t even looked at the dress despite the fact that I open my closet 20 times per week.

2 comments:

Emily said...

This is really destroying my image of you! I thought you were like, Ms. Dry Cleans Her Winter Coats and such!

Heather said...

It's true -- I do dry clean my winter coats. I am an anomaly.