Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Poor decisions around treadmill use

My treadmill use involves five elements. 1) treadmill 2) Ipod 3) TV remote (I watch with closed captioning while listening to M.I.A., because exercise is hard) 4) bottle of water 5) little 3lb weights which probably do nothing.

So the little weights have their own resting spots on the treadmill, and then there are 2 cupholders. I usually place the water in one and the ipod and remote in the other. I don't have an armband or anything and I don't really want to stick the Ipod in my bra, so I just have to deal with the headphones running from my head to the cupholder.

Now what makes this evidence of how I cannot have nice things is that I know that that state of affairs is a disaster waiting to happen. I know. And I still do it. And this is how it goes:

I get on treadmill. Start Ipod, swig some water, turn on tv, grab weights, select my preferred program, and get to power walking.

Immediately, while still in the warmup phase of the program, I get my enthusiastically powering elbow caught in the headphones and yank my ipod out of the cupholder; it hits the treadmill violently and slides back to the floor. "Fucker," I say.

Now having no Ipod for motivation, and with the program getting hard, I need to channel surf even more insanely and, attempting to juggle remote and weights, I drop remote, which hits treadmill, sliding back as well as busting open. "Great, now I have to watch Throwdown With Bobby Flay? This is bullshit!" I say.

During a lull I attempt to swig water while still holding the weights and drop the water bottle, which hits the treadmill and slides back. "Goddammit," I say.

With my morale completely shot and ten minutes to go I give up on weights, and, attempting to return them to their little slots mid-tread, I drop at least one on my feet: which is good in the long term because they could damage the treadmill, but come ON. "Come ON," I say.

The wretched Throwdown and my program end, and I retrieve my poor ipod and remote out from under the treadmill, where they lay among numerous dead spiders and camel crickets. I am sad. Yay exercise!

Anyway, ipods are like the center of all my woes about the nice things I cannot and should not have, alright? They are so expensive yet so small, fragile, and frequently used! They're shame waiting to happen.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Exercise is much too dangerous.